Monday 24 June 2013

Senior Teen

Senior Teen
Taken one year ago.
I find it hard enough to remember that I'm not 17 anymore, let alone that my first year of young freedom is up now. I set to myself that I must make my last teenage year count- but if it were half as brilliant as my 18th annum that would be bloody wicked and a year well done. Paying rent and working full time- suffice it to say that my childhood is well and truly up, if not my kidulthood. But not for one minute do I wish I were back in my school days. 

Fewer and fewer songs are becoming relevant to me. Here is are the songs that have mapped my adolescence so far. 
Please not that this is not a list of all the bands I have seen live or all the music I like, yet that which I feel inappropriate for me to listen to now unless in nostalgia. In melodramatic terms.


  • 11, and my first concert. Avril Lavigne was spectacular and I cried a bit. I saw her 2004 at wembley and as I said to Mum I'd never seen so many people that all looked like Avril. Nailpin supported. I didn't like that I had to take the cap off of my bottle of water. 

  • Billy Idol's Sweet sixteen was the best thing about being 16. I think I was 16 when I saw him live too.

  • Being 17 was rather terrible apart from the girl in Mcfly's 'That Girl' had "just turned 17" so that made it kind of okay. I was also blonde just to suit the song even more.
Me at 17 (with Hayley P)
  • When I turned 18 I didn't know what to do with my life and I was only earning £30 a week. This didn't bother me however as college was over and I went to the pub every night. I was also newly single and so being free, 18 and single all at once for the first time was very exciting. In the words of Alice Cooper- "I'm eighteen and I don't know what I want"
  • This is a song which shall soon not apply to me. Well I'm not sure how to handle that.
  • I feel I am dangerously close to meeting my childhood friends and pondering how strange it is to be fully grown. Bloody hell I might even have a baby to bring.


That's the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment