Monday 13 May 2013

Punk? A shoddily written article about young punks

"Punk is Dead!" the infamous cry of I don't quite know who. Is it true? I see and know plenty of mohicaned lads and lasses in 2013, but are they quite 'punk'? 

Searching for pictures to collect as inspiration, I stumble across a set of pictures like this: 


I do not own these pictures
A comment underneath catches my eye. "This is what punk became ridiculous. Mohicans leather jackets and tattoos. And shit American bands like green day. How can this be rebellion when you're all wearing the same uniform?". This got my mind going so I questioned the commenter, Pete, an original 70s punk. "So would you not agree that the punk movement was gang-like? That fitting in to 'punk' gave you greater opportunity to voice an opinion behind the group?" I asked. His reply was: "Punk like any youth movement was gang-like but was about the individual. What punk became was a cliche of Mohican, tattoos, etc, you don’t need them to be a punk, punk is an attitude,not a tattoo!"

So does this mean 'Punk' has gone stale? Is it impossible now to be a real punk, for any deliberate effort to look punk would be to conform to a stereotype, leading only to accusations of being poser-punk with the wrong attitude, that you're just not punk enough.
Saying this, I see many young punkers dressing the way they do in an echo of the past, aspiring to look a certain way so that they may re-live an era they never saw. But what are they fighting? If punk was a movement against conformity, do these young punks share those views? Or simply admire them enough to follow. Ironically.

I think this speaks alot for what punk is, and how it looks. "James White and the Blacks were the personification of the punk ethic. They were not a punk band and did not look punky at all, and that is the point. The attitude was there in abundance." Chris Sullivan, punk writer.

Sophie Dougan, 18 year old Philosophy Student has her own opinion. "I don't think it is possible to be a true punk today because I do think it was very much a subculture that was very much of it's place in time. People venting their frustrations through music, clothing, activism, they couldn't in any other way. I think the world has changed since the 70s a whole lot and it is easier for people to voice their opinions especially given the internet and social networking. I think people can be inspired by punk, it's music, style, ideology but I do think it's living in the past claiming to be punk exactly in the same way that people were punk during the 70s."
Me (left) and Sophie (right)

I have no conclusion to my writings. I welcome your opinions, as an impartial by-stander no opinion will offend me, as I hope none expressed in this article have offended you. I certainly mean no disrespect to anyone, whether you are a 00s or 70s punk. If you have anything to add, please comment below or email me at lina0milns@aol.com as I would be interested to hear your thoughts. And now to finish, some pretty pictures. None of which belong to me. 




P.S, I have found this website. I did find it rather funny. This cannot surely be what punk has come to. http://www.howtobepunk.com/punks/real-punk The website claims that to become punk means you will be more attractive to women, and find friends "that aren't imaginary". 

No comments:

Post a Comment