Tuesday 14 May 2013

Bloggers are Strange

I cannot think of a way to introduce the subject of The Doors into this post. If I were a lazy chat show host I might say they need no introduction. As a lazy writer I will show you these images regarding the subject and allow you to create your own drum-roll introduction. If you are unfamiliar with them, then I confess you should be directed to a much more eloquently skilled musical blogger than myself, as they deserve nothing less than the best explanation. A little pill and a vinyl might however do a better job than any mere mortal in this grey reality side of the doors of perception.  Without further ado, I present to you, The Doors...







All pictures nicked from the doors.com

And now that we are all sufficiently weak at the knees, I shall continue to the point.

TheDoors.com are creating a big mosaic recreation of this famous portrait of Jim Morrison. It'll be made of lots of small pictures of doting dreamy-eyed fans from across the globe. i.e from their facebook page. I too am submitting my picture. Feel free to compare the two of us. Wouldn't we look just great together? I will spare you the self-made couples pictures crudely constructed on Microsoft Paint of the two of us and let it to your own imagination.





And so there is my tribute to Jim Morrison. But is there too much myth around the guy? Why is THIS the famous Doors image, when it features but one fourth of the band, with the others not even present at the shoot. Of course the frontman always gets the most attention, and it is a universally acknowledged (thank you Austen) unwritten rule that other band members must stand back and allow the singer to attract media attention and adoring fans- in the name of the music's success. But how many mildly dedicated fans know the names of the other members? In a band such as The Doors, the lyrics and vocals are mesmerizing, but is it not Ray Manzarek's intoxicating keyboard playing that really 'makes' the Doors sound? Or how about the three-week number one hit "Light my fire", written by Robby Krieger. Jim was incredible at what he did but he didn't 'do' the Doors on his own. I wonder if he had lived to inevitably record a solo album, would it have been half as good as the explosive quartet the Doors.

Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore.

No comments:

Post a Comment